Thursday, May 20, 2010

T3T: There's an app for that.

Lurv my phone. Or "miPhone" if we're going for the phonetic spelling. And this is actually pretty surprising considering my phone history. This tight-wadded, frugal biddy was the classic, "Um, I'll take whatever comes standard with the phone package, danke." customer, hence the brick of a Nokia that I used for so many years. Eventually I upgraded to a smaller flip phone, which despite being classified as a "camera phone" displayed images that brought back fond memories of old school arcades.

Nice pixelation, Mari--Uh, Mellie...

Anyway, after losing that fine piece of machinery on the Crimson Ride, I downgraded back to the brick, then Sister gave me her old Motorola Razor (which I thought was way awesome, but everyone else had already advanced to touch screens and rolly balls, which this one, well, lacked.). Fast forward a year of me longing for an iPhone, and the Razor screen damaged by all of my poking--trying to will it into becoming a touch screen--when the day finally arrived. It was my birthday and my contract was up: new phone + discount = Winner.


Yeah, my media package costs more, but it was so worth it. I went on an app downloading frenzy. (But only the free ones. I'm still cheap. Just with a nicer phone.) I've just recently crossed over to my fifth page of apps. I use very few. But. But...they are mine. I could use these any time I want to. Wanna practice Guitar Hero? Check. Need a tip calculator? Check. Learn to play piano? Why, yes please.


So here we go: My top three favorite apps (of the day, at least). Enjoy.


Ah, Facebook. It's really the gold standard of apps, isn't it? A month ago, TweetDeck would have shared this spot dedicated to social media, but I've pretty much given up on it. I used to check my tweets every few hours or so, but now I'm so far behind, I can't think of catching up. I'll just check Shit My Dad Says and OfficeTally independently and call it a draw. Facebook though...That's something I can't give up. I like to know what's going on. And since my new job has it blocked, this top-seeded (that's first page material, yo) app has become my best little buddy. What? I have an eager curiosity. Nothing wrong with that. Moving on.

Up until, um...Three weeks ago, I lived without DVR. What th-- But wh-- HOW? I. Don't. Know. Did you know you don't have to watch commercials? Or set your VCR to record Lost if you're going out? It's pretty amazing. In all seriousness, I knew what I was missing without having the DVR--and even with it, I had to record Lost this week on my old school VCR (There's just too much good TV on Tuesdays: Glee, Biggest Loser [oh man, gotta talk about that later] and Lost. All in one night? Just too much. Something move to Monday or Wednesday. Nothing comes on those nights.) Anyway, back to matter at hand. Directv has an app where you can set programs to record from your phone to your DVR. I'm sure pretty much every other cable provider has this too, but I lurv it. And I've gone a little record-happy lately.

For your entertainment, a little Directv Free Association: Gypsy's coming on? I love Natalie Wood. Kurt sings Rose's Turn on Glee. Did I set Glee to record? Did now. Oh, and the pilot for that new show with Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks comes on tomorrow. Did I like Angels and Demons? I think his hair was better. We'll see. True Blood!! Ah crap, last season. Set season pass starting June 13. Winner. Skarsgard. Yum. His dad was that guy in Mama Mia. Ooo Mama Mia's on! Record. Aaaaand, scene. Hope you enjoyed.

Ok, this last one is kind of embarrassing. I dig the Tap Farm. It's iPhone's answer to Farmville. Do we all remember how I feel about Farmville? Shall I remind you? I don't even know if Facebook is still supportive of the Interactive National Farmers Union. I've blocked pretty much all farm-mafia-fish-cafe updates, so I don't know what's the new thing anymore. Anyway, I do love TF because it's so much less stressful than Farmvilletownfield. I buy my own trees. I pick my own animals. Harvest my own crops. Don't have any nagging neighbors begging for chickens or plum trees. It's mindless, and the perfect time waster at work. Once I've sleuthly checked out Blogspot (now they need an app. That'd be #1) and made the Facebook rounds, if I have a little extra time on my hands I check the farm. And it's perfect for work, because if someone happens to see me it looks like I'm doing some busy and important emailing (because I always put on the concentrating face), when in reality I'm harvesting digital tulips. Ah, the goodness of trickeration, my friends.

Until next time, Happy Apping!

No comments: