Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sore Biddy

I can't really move today. Walking the halls veeery slowly. If you're behind me on the stairs, I apologize. I'll be a while. Kind of embarassing. I've decided I've got to get back to working out on a regular basis. I've exhausted the "I moved/started a new job/going out of town/unpacking the bathroom/but I'm muy le tired" laundry list of excuses, so now I've got to suck it up and just do it.

And I started yesterday with trying out my new kettlebell purchase.

Now, I had an idea of what to expect from the packaging:


The handle was intimidatingly tough and manly looking. I thought my weight would look somewhat similar to the one on the package, ya know. Big. Apparently though, if you're a wimp and buy the 7lb weight you get something a little more like this...
Pink. And teeny tiny. I actually giggled as I took it out of the box. So not what I was expecting. It's like pulling out Baby Kettlebell and expecting Papa Kettlebell. Well. Baby Kettlebell kicked my ass. Never underestimate the tiny, cute and pink.

The weight came with a "workout," which really shouldn't be classified as such. The production is pretty horrible. Somehow the real people doing the exercises looked computer generated and the instructions come via voiceover. A higher kettlebell power, if you will. But despite the weird animation and the voice of the all powerful Oz, I was huffin' and puffin' after the first five minutes. I'm sure I'm not supposed to use this promo routine for the long haul, but until I make it through all the sets without wanting to throw my wimpy, girly kettlebell at the TV, I'm not upgrading.

Am also thinking about starting up this Couch Potato to 5K plan today. We'll see just how far I get...And just a disclaimer, if after a week I completely abandon this Move Myself initiative, and start counting my walks to the breakroom and parking deck as exercise, yell at me. Poke me with sticks. Or join in on the rationalization. And bring baked goods. I'm flexible. :)

3 comments:

Christina Terrell said...

Get 'em girl. I recently started gyming it on my lunch break. It takes awhile to get going, but then you sort of start getting that work out high.

Have to admit though, I've never heard of that ball. What do you do with it exactly? Like what does the DVD make you do?

Mellie said...

Ha I know--at least I've gotten through Day 2...And I hadn't heard of them til recently either. You pretty much do your standard squats, lunges, crunches, but the whole time you're swinging the weight around...It'll wear you out!

Anonymous said...

"Never underestimate the tiny, cute and pink." One of the 10 best quotes I've heard in my lifetime? More than likely!